Spring brings with it the promise of enjoying the outdoors – gardening, hiking, camping, and simply being together. It’s also when we start noticing the ticks in our midst. There have already been reports that Lyme disease rates are up this year. This could be because of people spending more time outdoors during COVID. Here are some basic tips to help you prepare for the outdoor season to help you and your family.
1) The way you dress can help. Wear light colored clothing and tuck pants into your socks. Wearing a hat can help you see ticks better.
2) Avoid areas with dense brush. Walk in the center of trails when possible.
3) Apply tick repellent. See our repellent selection listed below.
4) Do tick checks daily. Prompt removal of ticks can go a long way towards preventing transmission of tick-borne illnesses.
5) Bathe as soon as possible after coming indoors.
6) Tumble dry clothes for 10 minutes after coming inside. This will help to kill any ticks that are in the folds of clothing.
7) Keep mowed buffer zones. Ticks prefer tall grass, so maintaining a section of mowed lawn creates a buffer zone.
We have a number of excellent bug repellents at the Co-op; here are some of our favorites. (Prices subject to change.)
Green Mountain Tick Repellent – Locally-made, contains geranium, lemongrass, and cedarwood essential oils. The 4 oz is $10.99. We also carry the 8 oz, which is $14.99.
Lakon Herbals ByGone Bugz – Locally-made with organic sunflower oil or olive oil, essential oils of eucalyptus, rosemary, eucalyptus citriodora, peppermint, geranium, and wintergreen. The cost is $9.99 and is currently on sale for $5.29.
Way Out Wax Bug Out! – Locally-made, contains peppermint oil, rosemary oil, cedar wood oil, and thyme oil. 100% natural. The price is $6.99.
Badger Anti-Bug Shake and Spray – Certified organic and 100% natural. The 4 oz retails for $10.99 and is on sale for $9.49. Other Badger Bug products include the Anti-Bug Sunscreen, which retails for $14.99 and is on sale for $12.99.
Quantum Health Buzz Away – Family-friendly and made with plant-based carrier oils, aromatic essential oils, plant-based preservatives, and purified water. The 2 oz is $5.99, and the 4 oz is $8.69.
All Terrain Natural Herbal Armor – Over 25% active ingredients. Non-irritating. The 2 oz retails for $5.29 and the 4 oz for $9.99.
It’s also essential to protect yourself from the sun when spending time outdoors. Check out some of our natural sun protection products here.