Tick Prevention Strategies
While we think of spring as the time to start keeping an eye out for ticks, recent reports indicate that in Vermont, ticks can be found anytime the temperature is above freezing. Here are some basic tips to help you keep ticks at bay any time of the year.
- The way you dress can help. Wear light colored clothing and tuck pants into your socks. Wearing a hat can help you see ticks better.
- Avoid areas with dense brush. Walk in the center of trails when possible.
- Apply tick repellent. See our repellent selection listed below.
- Do tick checks daily. Prompt removal of ticks can go a long way towards preventing transmission of tick-borne illnesses.
- Bathe as soon as possible after coming indoors.
- Tumble dry clothes for 10 minutes after coming inside. This will help to kill any ticks that are in the folds of clothing.
- Keep mowed buffer zones. Ticks prefer tall grass, so maintaining a section of mowed lawn creates a buffer zone.
We have a number of excellent bug repellents at the Co-op; here are some of our favorites. (Prices subject to change.)
Green Mountain Tick Repellent – Locally-made, contains geranium, lemongrass, and cedarwood essential oils. The 4 oz is $10.99, on sale for $9.99. We also carry the 8 oz, which is $14.99, on sale for $12.99.
Lakon Herbals ByGone Bugz – Locally-made with organic sunflower oil or olive oil, essential oils of eucalyptus, rosemary, eucalyptus citriodora, peppermint, geranium, and wintergreen. The cost is $9.49 and is currently on sale for $7.99.
Way Out Wax Bug Out! – Locally-made, contains peppermint oil, rosemary oil, cedar wood oil, and thyme oil. 100% natural. The price is $7.99.
Badger Anti-Bug Shake and Spray – Certified organic. The 4 oz retails for $10.99 and is on sale for $9.49. Anti-Bug Balm is available in two sizes. The .75oz. tins is $5.99, on sale for $4.99 and the 2oz. Tin is $8.49, on sale for $7.49.
It’s also essential to protect yourself from the sun when spending time outdoors. Check out some of our natural sun protection products here.