Blog / Store Updates
“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” – Jane Goodall
AUTHOR: Co-op Staff
DATE: March 30, 2023
When you shop at the co-op, you have an opportunity to reduce your environmental impact in a number of ways. Reusing and recycling are just two important ways you can help our co-op achieve its environmental goals and move towards reducing waste and our carbon footprint.
There are numerous ways you can do that every day at the Co-op.
- Bring in your used paper shopping bags and egg cartons (not Styrofoam or plastic), drop them into the provided bins in our exit way so they can be reused or recycled.
- Bring in a reusable container to use for any bulk items in the bulk or wellness departments.
- Purchase one of our Eco Containers (made of polypropylene homo copolymer, and BPA-free) in the deli and bring it back in to be reused at our hot and cold bar. At checkout, you will be charged a one-time fee of $7.
- While you are shopping, recharge your electric vehicle at our charging station under our carport in the parking lot.
- Use a free empty box at the front end rather than shopping bags when you check out.
- Use a reusable shopping bag whenever you shop. Every time you do, five cents will be donated to the Montpelier Food Pantry through our Bag That Bag donation program.
- Use your own coffee mug every time you get a hot drink at the deli. When you do, you will save thirty cents on your drink.
- Recycle your batteries by dropping them off at customer service. Please make sure they are not leaking, as we can’t accept leaky batteries.
- Recycle your corks and can carriers by dropping them off in the bins located in the exit way.
- Ask if we have any packaging materials, such as bubble wrap or packing peanuts that you can reuse.
- Opt for larger containers rather than single serve.
- Purchase items in more environmentally friendly packaging, such as glass instead of plastic, whenever possible.
- Shop local and/or organic whenever possible. This can reduce your carbon footprint and environmental impact.
- Shop our bulk section rather than buying pre-packaged items, which allows you to buy just how much you really need and greatly reduce the amount of packaging. For example, fill a mason jar with rice instead of buying it in plastic bags.
- Members can opt out of getting paper receipts and opt into having their receipts emailed to them. Opt into eReceipts.
- Check out our Green Team’s list of available eco-friendly products.
While our customers can work towards sustainability and zero waste in all these ways, the Co-op also prioritizes environmental responsibility and stewardship in everything we do.