Spring brings with it the promise of enjoying the outdoors – gardening, hiking, camping, and more. It’s also a time of high tick counts. There have already been reports predicting steady or higher tick counts this spring and summer. To help you prepare for the outdoor season, here are some basic tips to help you and your family.
Tick prevention strategies:
1) The way you dress can help. Wear light colored clothing and tuck pants into your socks. Wearing a hat can help you see ticks better.
2) Avoid areas with dense brush. Walk in the center of trails when possible.
3) Apply tick repellent. See our repellent selection listed below.
4) Do tick checks daily. Prompt removal of ticks can go a long way towards preventing transmission of tick-borne illnesses.
5) Bathe as soon as possible after coming indoors.
6) Tumble dry clothes for 10 minutes after coming inside. This will help to kill any ticks that are in the folds of clothing.
7) Keep mowed buffer zones. Ticks prefer tall grass, so maintaining a section of mowed lawn creates a buffer zone.
Here are links for additional information:
We have a number of excellent bug repellents at the Co-op; here are some of our favorites (Prices subject to change).
Green Mountain Tick Repellent – Locally-made, contains geranium, lemongrass, and cedarwood essential oils. The 4 oz. is $10.99, currently on sale for $9.49. We also carry the 8 oz., which is $14.99 and on sale for $12.99.
Lakon Herbals ByGone Bugz – Locally-made with GMO-free sunflower oil or olive oil, essential oils of eucalyptus citriodora, rosemary, wintergreen or sweet birch, peppermint and geranium. Regularly at $7.49 and on sale for $6.99.
Way Out Wax Bug Out! – Locally-made, contains peppermint oil, rosemary oil, cedar wood oil, and thyme oil. 100% natural. Regularly at $6.99, currently on sale for $6.29.
Badger Anti-Bug Shake and Spray – Certified organic and 100% natural. The 4 oz. retails for $10.99. Other Badger Bug products include Badger Anti-Bug Balm (tin), Anti-Bug Balm (stick), and Anti-Bug Sunscreen.
Quantum Health Buzz Away – Family-friendly and made with plant-based carrier oils, aromatic essential oils, plant-based preservatives, and purified water. The 2 oz. is $5.99, 4 oz. is $8.69.
All Terrain Natural Herbal Armor – Over 25% active ingredients. Non-irritating. The 2 oz. retails for $5.49, the 4 oz. for $8.49.
It’s also essential to protect yourself from the sun when spending time outdoors. Check out some of our natural sun protection products here.